I Fixed a Typo!

I've done it. I made my first official contribution to the world of open source development. I fixed a single typo.


This week's been pretty busy so I haven't gotten around to participating in hacktoberfest, which is pretty much our assignment for this whole month. But this weekend I got around into exploring github and its millions of repos. It's pretty amazing to see all sorts of projects that are hosted on the website, from personal to big projects, from react applications to google chrome extensions, there were a lot that caught my eye. The hard part was picking one that felt like I could contribute to. Ultimately that's the goal of this whole assignment from our professor, dipping our toes into the world of open source and making baby steps in contributing to them. 

The 1st of 4 pull requests that I will be making this month consists of a typo. A minor one that I managed to notice by chance whilst I was testing out the app. A lightbulb lit up above my head and I decided to make that my first contribution. It was small, but hey, who knows who else would have noticed the typo. I hope this causes a butterfly effect somehow and the maintainer will evolve the project into something big, starting from that typo ðŸ˜ŒðŸ˜ŒðŸ˜Œ

That's not all I got from this weekend though. Thanks to Prof H's guidance and exceptional lectures, he taught us how to hunt for repos, how to filter through github, and pointers to find something that we would be interested and compelled to contribute to rather than just a cheap way to get that hacktoberfest t-shirt. I got a few repos starred under my belt and hopefully throughout the coming weeks I can familiarise myself with them enough to contribute more than just the typo above.

Link to the repo below.


Thanks for reading y'all


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release 0.3 : Telescope and The Quest for Infinity.... Scroll

Introduction

Week 1 + 2 Recaps and thoughts