I'm almost Git-ting It

"Ahhhh okay I get it..... I think" is what I say to myself most of the time when I'm watching Prof H's lectures on Git. This week it's about remotes. They're super informative and concise! He clears up whatever uncertainty or confusions you have about the git, granted you have been practicing and experimenting with it out on your own beforehand. This week we're tasked to merge and make a pull request to a repo of one of our peers.... but WITHOUT the use of GitHub.

So you mean to tell me we're going to do all this merging, comitting, fetching, etc. all without this helpful UI that still didn't make everything about git clear? Alright fine, in the end, the only thing I can gain from this is more git knowledge and I welcome that. So I picked a repo to work on, forked it, set up an upstream and contacted my lab partner regularly regarding the code. This time I chose me-check-links, a program written by a course mate of mine Jasper Mui.



We were to write a URL ignore feature that parses https links in there to ignore in our link checking program. Lucky for me, someone else in the class had decided to add that feature to my repo, and when I was reviewing her code addition, it gave me a base to write my code logic on. I admit I used parts of her code for Jasper, but made some significant changes on my own. After a few re-reviews as per Jasper's requests, he was finally satisfied and merged my feature branch! No more pull requests with the press of a button, its all command line from here now.

Experimenting with different git methods was interesting, substituting the simple pull request feature from github that's assisted by it's intuitive UI for the sometimes-confusing (actually most of the time) command line method of merging/version control was an experience. It helped me get more familiar with git commands and not rely so much on how github has made it a million times more simple. Also being on the command line makes an barely average programmer like myself feel like a professional coder. But through a few hiccups and learning experiences, I made it work. And like I said last week, the more I learn about git, the more I realise I don't GIT IT

Link to Jasper's repo down below

me-check-links [https://github.com/Jasper-Mui/me-check-links]

Thanks for reading :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release 0.3 : Telescope and The Quest for Infinity.... Scroll

Introduction

Week 1 + 2 Recaps and thoughts