Release 0.4 Progress I & II : Telescope Migration

So since 2 weeks ago, we've been tasked to start working on our final release 0.4 assignment which is to make a real meaningful contribution, bigger than our previous releases, to any repo of choice. So the first week was generally spent conceptualizing and searching for a repo of choice, while the second week was to start working on it. Next week we are expected to make our finishing touches to the release. The requirements of the release are pretty ambiguous, since our prof mentioned it can vary from to contributing to a number of bug fixes, or a a large feature addition, but the main point is to really dive deep into a repo to understand and help in pushing the program/app forward.

Last week I dove into GitHub explore to look for repos that I may contribute to, and I have to say, it was much easier back in October when people were generally welcoming and looking for open source contributions from a variety of programmers. Now, though a large number of issues still exist in the whole of GitHub, it was quite tough to find one that would meet the level of skill and requirement to meet the assignment for myself. I was eyeing a repo (a VST/Virtual Instrument program for music producing) that I was interested to work on, but it seemed like a lot of technology to learn with the timeframe given. Therefore I'll set that goal aside for my free time and work on something else for the meanwhile.

I ended up deciding on working on telescope again, for a few number of reasons. I was already quite familiar with the frameworks/technologies that built it, which means it'll be easier for me to make a significant contribution (e.g. feature contribution, multiple bug fixing, etc.) Secondly, I've had a lot of great experiences working on it for the past 2 releases and would love to really advance this communal web app forward to make it as great as possible. Finally, we're in the process of migrating the front end to a different framework, so this is a great opportunity to contribute to a such a large task/milestone for the project and I'm really excited to help out as much as I can.




So my task as of now is to migrate the back to top button component, but that's not all I'm planning to contribute to, after I successfully done that, I'll probably search for another component and help out some more. I want to progress the migration process forward as much I can and really put some effort into bestowing the best contribution I can give.

Thanks for reading


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Release 0.3 : Telescope and The Quest for Infinity.... Scroll

Introduction

HacktoberFest Entry No.2